Ummm, What's That? Durian Candy- Easter Edition




   Hi, everyone and welcome to another Ummm, What's That? Today, we have a candy that had me going "Ummm, what's that?" This is durian candy. I found it at the same Asian market that I found red bean paste, which you can see my post about here. Also, since Easter is coming up, I figured candy would fit in well.  That's also why I put a jellybean backround.πŸ˜‹ Here's some information about this treat!🍈




What is it?

   Durian is a Southeast-Asian fruit that is green or brown and spiky on the outside and different shades of yellow on the inside. It's called the "king of fruits" in the countries it's eaten in which are Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia.  One of the most famous things about the durian, though, is its smell. According to the Smithsonian, it smells like turpentine, onions, and dirty socks. I would say they are right on!😱😱😱




What does it taste like?

    Okay, so there are a couple different steps to this process. First you open the medium sized package. the smell floods your nose and eventually everyone else's in the room (it's that strong!). Next you open the little package that holds the individual candies. The smell becomes stronger until you reach the final step, the eating. It's a very different kind of taste than I was expecting. I had heard it had tasted both savory and sweet at the same time, and it does. It reminds me of like beef and coconut mixed together. At some points it just tastes sweet and then savory and then both at the same time.



How do you use it?



   You know what the best part of April Fool's day is this year?  It's the same day as Easter this year.  I might use that for a prank, especially if I know a little kid who will eat any candy that I give her. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚


  If you have ever tried durian candy or durian in general, or have another crazy candy that you've tried, please post about it in the comments below. 😊


Comments

  1. Durian is stinky! We had some of that candy & had to store it in the garage. Dirty socks is right on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Angie! The smell is very strong. Stop by again for more Ummm, What's That and Tony Time!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

5 Tips To Great Sushi!